At College Bound Advising Today we offer a range of service options, designed to be affordable and effective:
The Comprehensive College Application Process for High School Juniors and Seniors*
Consultation is via in-home meeting, telephone, email and text message.
This Includes up to 8 sessions :
- Collection and review of educational and personal histories, school records and educational testing results.
- Assessment of interests, strengths, skills and academic and extra-curricular goals.
- Prioritizing important aspects of the college selection process.
- Development of "to do" list for educational testing, college visits, application completion and submission.
- Assistance with essay topic development and writing (editing only).
- Review of all essays and other application materials.
- Advice on college interviews.
- Assistance regarding admissions decisions.
Introduction – Initial meetings with parents and the student are a crucial component in the process of getting to know the student, their goals and interests. The conversation will begin with an in-depth discussion of student’s future goals, current interests, activities, learning style, and aspirations. As an aid to that meeting, you should bring along a copy of the current high school transcript, SAT or ACT score reports and profile of the high school. We will also discuss the family’s current thoughts regarding college options: schools, location, size, cost, specialties. As a result of these meetings, we will be able to identify colleges that are appropriate academic and social-emotional matches.
Options and Selection – The student is provided with a list of colleges that meet the agreed-upon criteria. During this meeting, the different options will be discussed with an emphasis on how each one relates to the student’s interests, strengths and social preferences. As a result of this meeting, the student will have a "short list" of schools to visit and/or to which they will apply.
Application – At this step we will discuss the application itself, teacher recommendations, test scores, and transcripts. The student will receive on-going assistance and advice on the essay writing process–from brain-storming the subject and ideas regarding style/format, to an editing session and final critique. As a result of this step, the student will be able to complete and submit applications to the desired colleges on time and in a manner that provides an accurate and compelling representation of themselves.
Preparation for College Visits – For this there will be a meeting with parents and student to decide which colleges they will visit. Individual session with student will help prepare for the Admissions Interview, including Mock Interview.
Decision – After the schools make their decisions, in the acceptance phase, it is often important to meet with the families to discuss the best school to attend. As a result, the student will accept the appropriate offer of admission and communicate with all colleges that have made offers of admission.
Follow-up – The transition to college can raise questions or issues. A follow-up meeting, email exchange or phone call can be a very important resource. The Advisor will be available to the student for follow-up.
The List-Only Package for High School Juniors and Seniors *
This package is a "lite" version of the Comprehensive Package – listed above, and will be no more than 5 sessions.
The services included in this package:
- In depth discussion of college preferences with parent and student.
- Review of high school and testing records.
- Creating a list of potential colleges, including “reach”, “likely” and “very likely” options.
- Meeting to refine and finalize the list of potential colleges.
- Enrollment decision meeting.
The College Preparation Process for High School Freshmen and Sophomores *
Often, students who are at the beginning of their high school career want guidance in building the best pre-college profile possible. Here, goal-setting is an important feature. This can be scheduled for any time during the first 3 years of high school or immediately before entrance.
This option includes:
- Review of academic record.
- Advice on course selection.
- Testing recommendations.
- Recommendations on extra-curricular activities.
- Discussion of pre-planning the college application process.
A result of this meeting will be a timetable for tests, a plan for courses and a list of possible activities.
Those who have purchased this package, and then decide to purchase the Comprehensive Package will receive a $300 discount.
Families may wish to add an annual follow-up meeting to this plan at $100, for an hour-long session.
Additional Services *
Each of these services are available as a part of the Comprehensive Package, but can be purchased individually, in 3-hour blocks.
- Essay Brainstorming and Editing
- Application Review
- Enrollment Decision Meeting with parents and student